Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Update on the Apollo Project

 It's been about two weeks since I announced my project and so far I'm making some slow progress on several fronts.  I ordered and currently have in my possession two kits from Revel models of the Lunar Lander.  One I'm going to try and put together to both see how it looks and the size of it on the board., but so far haven't actually sat down to build it.  The other I'm going to keep in parts as a way to figuring out citadel parts to substitute for components as best I can.

For the marines themselves, I've decided upon a concept of how I wish to do that, as I want to keep it still mostly 40k models, I'm going to use the body of the space marines, but replace the helmets and backpacks with substitutes that are closer to the Apollo astronauts. 

I also plan to build some "lunar rovers" that will play as land speeder typhoons.  I'm still trying to figure out how to model that based from a GW or citadel model.  I'm thinking maybe some or the ork buggies for bits might be a good start.

Start with this...

Result with this...

Right now the project is in the planning stages for not only the models, but also the list I want to build this for.  The other day I tested a drop pod army just to get the feel of it and I learned quite a few things from the experience.

I feel that to be able to put up a reasonable fight against opponents, I'm wanting to try out the following list I posted on the TEW forums.

http://www.theeternalwarriors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=617

My original intention with this entire project was to have it completed and ready for Adepticon 2012 which I still plan to have it done for.  However, I am accelerating my deadline to September, to be ready for the Grand Waaagh on board the USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier / Floating Museum.  As it was the recovery ship for Apollo 11, I think it would be cool to have this army completed and competing there. 

As I make more progress, I'll continue to post more updates, along with any other hobby updates.

3 comments: